Media Temple is one of the popular web hosting companies online today. They have a variety of big businesses and developers using their products and services while also complimenting on the uptime, downtime, support and storage capacity of their premium VPS hosting plans. There are a range of hosting options that you can choose with Media Temple that you won’t find with fly-by-night web hosts out there. In fact, some of the web hosting service providers out there actually are resellers of the Media Temple hosting service. As with every hosting company, there are a variety of reasons to choose a premium VPS hosting from Media Temple, but there are also some drawbacks to their plans.
Media Temple Shared Hosting
The grid powerful web hosting is Media Temple’s most popular shared hosting package. It’s optimized for WordPress, includes 100GB of storage and 1TB of bandwidth, 1,000 email accounts and up to 100 hosted websites. Media Temple also says that the grid shared hosting platform handles all visitor spikes even if a site gets 1,000,000 visitors.
Prominent features of Media Temple shared hosting include the following:
- Fast Load Times: The shared hosting plan includes PHP 5.5, PageSpeed and FastCGI to optimize websites for fast loading. Media Temple says that their load times are six times faster than other web hosts.
- CloudFlare Controls: CloudFare provides fast site optimization and security. This is actually a free service included with shared hosting plans.
- Backup: CloudTech engineers are also available with this plan to ensure that you get a backup and recovery system for your site, which ensures that your data is safe.
- Money Back Guarantee: If you don’t like your experience, then you can always cancel or get your money back. The support is open 24/7 every day of the year including holidays.
Drawbacks of Media Temple shared hosting plan:
There are uptime complaints occasionally from sites that need a lot of bandwidth. It’s also up to the user to be proactive about security and updates especially if you use WordPress.
Their shared hosting plan is great for:
- Small businesses
- Individual blogs
- Business blogs
- Artist portfolios
- Small ecommerce sites
Media Temple Developer VPS Hosting
Developer VPS Hosting or DV is especially for Linux developers. Media promises 99.99% server uptime, ability to choose your own OS and total control of your server environment. There are three plans that are priced based on memory, storage and bandwidth.
- 1GB Memory
- 20GB Storage
- 350GB Bandwidth
- 2GB Memory
- 40GB Storage
- 650GB Bandwidth
- 4GB Memory
- 80GB Storage
- 5TB Bandwidth
Each of these plans also includes full access to SSH and root, instant provisioning, premium hardware with RAID-10 disks, fast reboot and rebuild, real-time server status, Parallels Power Panel interface and Linux VPS Hosting with custom OS.
Prominent features of Media Temple Developer VPS Hosting include the following:
- Customization Options: This is the best option if you want to have the most customization. You can pick from Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian or Fedora and you can customize all that you like.
- High Performance: Media Temple includes SAS disks with i/o isolation so it’s super fast. The servers are extremely fast and perform at enterprise levels with ease.
- Flexible DNS configuration: You can also edit the DNS zone files yourself even while still using their domain name servers. You save some memory this way and you don’t have to run BIND. It’s also easier to connect mail servers to Google.
Reliability and Drawbacks
In most situations, Media Temple makes all efforts to provide the best support and fastest servers. However with customized VPS hosting, you’re responsible for all the security updates even more than with shared hosting. You also have full control, which means that if something goes wrong, you could potentially be out of luck if you’re using a custom OS.
The developer VPS hosting is a great choice for:
- Anyone who has outgrown shared hosting plans
- Your business is in need of LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
- Medium and large businesses with significant traffic
- Developer who prefers building their own environment
- Managing multiple websites with different domain names and servers
Media Temple Managed VPS Hosting
If you want the ultimate in powerful VPS hosting, Media Temple offers the DV managed VPS hosting plan, which comes with a easy-to-use control panel, root access, 200 apps and 24/7 support. Each of the plans are different based on storage just like with developer VPS hosting.
- 1GB RAM
- 30GB Storage
- 1TB Bandwidth
- 2GB RAM
- 50GB Storage
- 5 TB Bandwidth
- 4GB RAM
- 100GB Storage
- 2TB Bandwidth
These plans include easy control panel, instantly installed apps, managed uptime, OS support, security, reseller features, 64-bit CentOS, MySQL, PHP 5.4 and uptime guarantee.
This is Media Temple’s most comprehensive plan, and it includes everything mentioned above and more. It also protects customers from some of the drawbacks mentioned earlier, such as the lack of support.
The managed VPS hosting is great for anyone who wants the ultimate package and doesn’t want to have to worry about uptime. Customers get the best support available and they won’t have to manage their own servers. Media Temple will take care of all the details.